Importance of Water
Water is used for various important purposes:
Water in Agriculture
Water plays the most important role in agriculture. Agriculture is impossible without irrigation throughout the crop season. Irrigation ensures proper plant growth.
Water for Municipal use
Lifestyle of the inhabitants and their economic conditions affect the water use within the home in different parts of the country. Municipal; demand includes water for domestic purposes, commercial uses, street washing, lawn and garden irrigation, fire protection.
Water in the domestic sector is generally used for drinking, washing toilets, lawn sprinkling, and food preparation etc.
Balancing the ecosystem
Water is not only important for human beings but also plays an important role to balance the entire ecosystem by various ways:
- By its presence in the atmosphere it absorbs the Sun’s heat.
- The rain water scours the hills and carries the sediments into rivers, valleys etc.
- Percolating water into rock crusts takes part in the formation of mineral deposits.
- In Polar Regions, water in the form of the caps influences climatic and geographical changes.
Water for industries
Water is used in huge quantities in the industries like steel industry, chemicals, fertilizers, textiles, cement, electricity, petrochemicals and paper. Mining, food etc. these industries require water for following or the other reasons:
- Generation of power.
- Cleaning purposes.
- Fire protection.
- Air conditioning.
Water for power
Thermal power plants also requires large volume of water for the purpose of cooling and disposal of fly ash. Water is used in thermal power generation.
Water for Navigation
Water ways are important medium of transportation. Transport by water ways is cheaper as compared to by road and railway. The main waterways exist in the Ganga in the eastern region and Brahmaputra in the north-eastern region, which account for more than 60 per cent of the traffic.
Water for fish, wildlife and recreation
Fish, wildlife and recreation facilities play an important role in nation’s life and adequate water supplies for their continued development and important. Swimming, boating, fishing is the important outdoor recreational activities which are impossible without water.
Category: Natural ResourcesTagged With: Water
Water is a liquid. It is made up of H2O molecules. H2O is two hydrogen atoms bonded together with one atom of oxygen.
The importance of water means the usefulness and significance of liquid H2O. Water is absolutely crucial for our health and well-being, and for the planet too.
Uses of Water
Please find below the various uses of water:
- Drinking: humans need to drink at least 8 regular glasses of clean water each day.
- Washing our bodies: water helps us stay hygienic.
- Cleaning homes: water helps remove dirt from homes.
- Agriculture: irrigation systems are crucial to much of agriculture.
- Cooking: boiling, steaming and stewing all use water.
- Leisure: sailing swimming and other leisure activities take place in water.
- Habitats: lakes, rivers and the sea are vital for biodiversity.
- Travel: ships, rafts and other vessels are important means of transport.
- Plumbing: water helps us to dispose of unwanted waste from our homes.
- Laundry: water enables us to keep our clothing and linen clean.
- Preservation: brine is great for preserving everything from olives to veggies.
- Peace: sitting beside a lake or body of water brings us peace.
- Power: hydroelectric energy can power whole towns.
- An ingredient: water is an ingredient in some surprising things, such as cosmetics and coolants.
Conclusion: Water affects every aspect of our lives.
Category: EnvironmentTagged With: Water